Thursday, August 11, 2011

Don’t always be open to new ideas



            A pastor friend invited me to a men’s revival rally. Which is fine except that he’s inviting me for the third time, I having declined on each occasion. This time I candidly told him that I find the idea of proclaiming one’s virtue in a crowded auditorium faintly absurd. Why not merely be virtuous?
He recounted some evangelical success stories from past rallies which are irrefutable. He is trying to minister to me, having spotted my rough edges, and I can’t accept his rah rah style of ministration. Is a faith best known by its precepts or by its resonant advocates? I’ve never been sure.
            Anyway I’m not going to the men’s revival rally, whether out of principle or stubbornness. This pastor and I are both trying to enhance the other and neither succeeds.
            He says I’m not open to new ideas. Indeed I am not. I’m more receptive to old ideas, like being left alone to conduct one’s spiritual life as one sees fit.


No comments:

Post a Comment